Monday, January 3, 2011

A wait too long

So much has been written and spoken of this case, yet the curiosity never dies.

If people had begun getting the grotesque speculations off their heads, the closure report has once again enlivened the case in public domain.

Then working in Ahmedabad, I had come to meet a friend in Delhi when I first heard of the twin murders. I laughed at that annoyingly screaming TV reporter who was cursing the police for sending a team to Nepal while the servant’s body lay on the terrace.

Despite several claims to have “solved” the mystery “for the first time” with contrasting theories, we still have no clue as to WHO and WHY. Now friends in Noida tell me how the task of ensuring round-the-clock “live feeds” from “ground zero” meant “excitingly taxing” for dozens of journalists.

The madness was controlled a bit after a court gag.

The other day some officers were at my place for lunch. We could not help discussing the issue. They said they were never in doubt. But then there was no concrete evidence.

A local reporter, who managed stuff for the lunch, said his only wish in life was to “crack” the case before the police or any other agency could.

Now working in the same city, I have been around the locality, chiefly meant for retired naval and air force staff, several times. It does make you uneasy. You want to know WHO and WHY, partly because of the kind of people, who “may have been” involved in the case.

The sheer fact that the killer(s), who slit the throats "either like a butcher or a doctor", is roaming scot-free, possibly in the vicinity, is frightening.

A lot has happened during these two and a half years. The beating that the two agencies’ image has taken all this while has been one of the most pronounced developments.

The parents are free, but not cleared. The three helps have almost been cleared, but their life ruined, beyond repair. Their lawyers are now talking of defamation and compensation.

I have no hesitation in admitting to the fact that I am, unlike most people in the city, no expert on this case. Though it’s been written and said a million times, it’s actually ridiculous that officers suspected the “missing” help immediately and went on to announce a reward of Rs 20,000 for information on him while he lay dead on the terrace.

Precious hours were lost, sealing the case’s fate. Later, heads rolled. Helps, drivers became suspects one by one. Several scientific tests were conducted. All inconclusive. Their lives ruined, they have been cleared. The parents were, and still are, suspected.

A lot of irresponsible comments have been made by the police, the press and the public.

Not getting to the motive is very disturbing.

I actually shudder to think the killer(s) is amongst us, either smoking a “bidi” or driving a car.


  1. Very true, sir. This case and its proceedings are an apt example of " Justice delayed is justice denied." its nothing but sheer mockery of justice